Details of local history. .
|A Roman Villa at the Edge of Empire|
The results of the excavation of a Roman Villa at Ingleby
Barwick, Stockton-on-Tees, ahead of house building in
2003/04 have just been published in a monograph by the
Council for British Archaeology.
The main villa complex was preseved beneath a ‘village
green’ but its ancilliary buildings inlcuding a heated room
and a horse powered mill. High status finds included
several sherds of Egyptian glass from a fine piece of
tableware. For more details about the villa please check
Thanks to Tees Archaeology for this extract from the December 2013 newsletter.
|Low Lane/Green Lane |
Teesside is not particularly associated with the Roman occupation and there is very little evidence for a military presence. However recent discoveries of villa-like Roman buildings at Ingleby Barwick, Loftus and Brotton suggest that the area may have been more Romanised than we have previously suspected.
Recent archaeological work on either side of Low Lane/Green Lane in Yarm has added to this picture with finds of five new sub-Roman sites in the last two years. This road continues in pretty much a straight line all the way to Kirkleatham.
Do these recent finds confirm its Roman or earlier origin, perhaps as a supply road to the flat sandy beaches on the south side of the Tees where traders could safely land their cargoes?
Thanks to Tees Archaeology for this extract from their newsletter January 2013.
See also their website at www.teesarchaeology.com
where you will find web pages on the Roman Villa at Quarry Farm which include a downloadable leaflet and presentation.
|More about |
|References to the “Roman" Villa at Ingleby Barwick|
The Emergence of Villa Landscapes
Location Quarry Farm
Iron Age occupation Possibly
Roman pre-villa phase
Date of Villa
Type Wing corridor villa, second rectangular building, and hypocausted structure
Discussing the development of villas “Both, row & hall types were frequently altered or enlarged. A porticus and pavilions were frequently built onto the fronts of the row-type, producing a winged-corridor villa. The elaborate H-shaped plan of the villa at Great Witcombe has been seen as a development of this type of plan (Ellis 1998, 124). The hall-type usually came to be divided into a series of rooms, sometimes including a baths-suite, by walling across the aisles and at the ends of the nave. “
“In North-East England, simple rectilinear stone buildings or ‘cottage houses’ occur in enclosures at Holme House, at Settrington, near Malton, and in the second-century development at Langton. It is clear that a good many simple rectilinear houses of second-century date could await discovery or have gone undetected on sites with later villa buildings. Where plans of more developed villa buildings are known in this region they are of the simple development from the row-type known as the wing-corridor villa, almost a standard plan. At both Ingleby Barwick and Dalton-on-Tees we see the ubiquitous pairing together of a wing-corridor villa and aisled hall-type building, the latter in its typical position in front and to one side of the main house. Neither site is at present closely dated, and the other known examples of this arrangement in the north-east date to after AD 200.”
“Evidence for the decoration of villas up to the early third century, although copious, is very fragmentary. Most villas were rebuilt and often greatly enlarged in the later third and fourth centuries, and the mosaics which survive intact and the reconstructable schemes of decoration are of that later period. There is no doubt that many villas had mosaics and wall-paintings by the early third century, although on a much more modest scale than is typical of the late villas of Western England which bear comparison with the most luxurious examples in the Western Empire.
Although the villas of North-East England were equipped with the usual amenities in the third and fourth centuries, there is at present much less evidence of this for the period up to AD 200. Holme House certainly had a bath suite and mosaics in the second century. The complex of buildings at Well perhaps had baths and tessellated pavements as early as the second century, although it is not certain that this is a villa. The second-century house at Langton was, however, extremely basic, with no evidence for hypocausts or mosaics. At Ingleby Barwick the villa is accompanied by a separate, small hypocausted building, presumably intended for some kind of baths, but of a most basic and unorthodox type, as if a Roman bath was being interpreted by builders unfamiliar with the type. The main houses with mosaics and hypocausts at Langton, Rudston and Dalton Parlours were all built after the end of our period.”
"Until recently there seemed to be large areas of North-East England which showed no trace of the pattern of towns and villas that would be expected of a developed province of the Roman empire. Villa settlement seemed confined to certain areas of Yorkshire and largely absent north of Catterick and the Cleveland Hills. Holme House seemed a possible exception, related to the nearby native centre at Stanwick. The one candidate for a villa north of the Tees, Old Durham, was so fragmentarily known that it was considered an uncertain villa."
"But now, thanks to an increased incidence of developer-funded archaeology, and some enterprising research by local societies, more Roman villas have actually started to appear in the northern part of this region. The most notable examples are at Quarry Farm, Ingleby Barwick, and Dalton-on-Tees (Chapel House Farm: Brown 1999). There is also a Romanised rural settlement, which may have developed into a villa, at Faverdale near Darlington. The importance of these sites, still low in absolute numbers, is that they restore the reputation of the ‘villa’ at Old Durham, and in combination with that site suggest that there are many more to be discovered and that the distribution could well run far north of the Tees towards Hadrian’s Wall. Small towns or marketing centres to accompany these villas must also await discovery (the recently found site at Sedgefield is a probable example of such: Carne and Mason 2006). The Humberside and East Yorkshire region makes an interesting comparison, for here where more villas have long been known, urban centres, such as Shiptonthorpe, have also only been recognised in recent times."
In 2007 it was said that, "even though we have growing evidence that Old Durham does not stand alone, there remains a basic uncertainty about whether these hyperborean villas were the homes of a native elite, or wholly or in part the product of an immigrant population. The question of the origin of the owners also remains open in the case of the much more substantial and prosperous villa settlement of Yorkshire."
"We saw earlier that there is a clear relationship between several villas and a pre-Roman Iron Age settlement of agricultural system on the same site. However, in no case is it possible to demonstrate that the descendents of the pre-Roman community were responsible for developing the site into a villa, or even to show that the development of the villa was a gradual adaptation of a pre-Roman site by the same community. Langton, with the amalgamation of early enclosures and the eventual development of the site into a villa, perhaps best fits the model of indigenous farmers becoming villa owners. Even if this could be demonstrated, it would then be difficult to prove continuity of ownership within the Roman period. The idea that certain rectilinear enclosures in East Yorkshire, such as those that preceded the villa at Langton, were the settlements of military veterans, shortly after the conquest of the region, has already been mentioned, and it has been noted that there is little real evidence for this. Publication of the pottery and finds from a recently excavated villa site like Ingleby Barwick will, it is hoped, allow comparison with assemblages from military sites in the area, so that some assessment can be made as to whether the villa drew on the same sources of supply, something that might be expected if it had really been established by settlers with close ties to the army.
|Another History article|
If you ask the present day inhabitants of Ingleby Barwick 'How old is this village?' invariably the answer is, about ten years. Ingleby Barwick, about eight miles southwest of Middlesbrough, is considerably older than ten years. There have been settlements and farms here for over 2,000 years.
In 1970 aerial photographs revealed cropmarks indicating earlier settlements on this site. Excavations revealed the first recognisable residents were men of the Iron Age. The archaeologists discovered that a sizeable percentage of the topsoil was not indigenous to the area. It has been brought upstream and dumped as a result of the extensive building work in Middlesbrough during the 19th century. The cropmarks also show a fairly typical square shape of a Roman fort.
The continuous occupation of this site was not by chance. The Whinstone Dyke, an outcrop of rock at this point of the river, would have created a series of fordable rapids and at the same time be a deterrent to keeled vessels proceeding further upstream. The site may have had strategic military importance. The Normans built a motte and bailey castle at Ingleby Barwick by the junction of the rivers Tees and Leven.
After the Norman Conquest, William gave Ingleby Barwick, along with the parent parish of Stainton, to Robert Malet. Later they were given to Robert de Brus, from whom the Meynalls and the notorious Lucia de Thweng were descended. The younger branch of the de Brus family of Skelton Castle were the antecedents of Robert the Bruce, King of Scotland in 1306. His grandson was the founder of the Stuart line.
When Robert Malet gave the land away it had little or no value. By the time of the Dissolution of the Monasteries it was considered to be of great value. At that time it belonged to Guisborough Priory. From then until the land was sold to Costains property developers in 1969 the land continued to support several farms, and the Great Whinstone Dyke was quarried for the stone, which was in demand for the extensive road building of the 19th century. The rocky projection into the river Tees was also blown up and navigation upstream was made easier.
After the purchase of the land in 1969 the first house was not occupied until 1981. Shops have been built, a health centre and Whinstone primary school. One of the old farmhouses, a listed building, has been extended and modernised and is the village pub, called the Teal inn. Teal is the name of a steeplechaser that was trained locally and won the Grand National at Aintree. There is also a church, St Francis. The building comprises two redundant wooden sheds, not great architecture but the heart of the village. In this building all the local activities take place.
The village information above is taken from The Cleveland Village Book, written by members of the Cleveland Federation of Women's Institutes and published by Countryside Books. It was written sometime between 1986 when "The Shed" opened & 1997 when the brick built church was opened.
|Quarry Farm Roman Villa, Ingleby Barwick|
The remains of what is thought to be the most northerly
surviving Roman villa in the Empire have been partly
excavated at Ingleby Barwick.
Enclosures showing as marks in ripening cereal crops were first identified from aerial photographs taken in 1970. However, it was not until 2000 when a geophysical survey undertaken by Archaeological
Services University of Durham, indicated the presence of at
least three stone founded buildings.
The site was then partly excavated by Durham University in
2003. Evidence was found for both circular and rectangular
buildings. The rectangular buildings probably represented
the homes and farmstead of a wealthy family of ‘Romanised Britons’. One of these buildings had an underfloor heating system. Adjacent to the villa there was evidence of an extensive field system and further buildings including a circular horse mill for grinding the corn grown on the estate, a well built barn/workshop and numerous corn driers. The local aristocrats who owned the site probably had close links with the Roman military and may have acted as their local representatives. The site was probably valued for its position on the River Tees where traffic and trade could easily be controlled.
Thanks to Stockton Borough Council for permision to use this extract from their "Stockton Heritage Strategy" document.
It is significant that the Whin Sill crosses the river Tees at this point, "Quarry Farm", so it would have given a more firm footing for vehicles & men to cross the river than at Yarm. (Ed.)
|Ingleby Barwick - Bronze Age Cemetery|
A number of graves were excavated which revealed various
burial practices within this Bronze Age Cemetery and
required Tees Archaeology and Durham University to undertake some highly technical procedures in order to fully understand the finds and skeletons.
One of the most significant burials was of a woman who was buried wearing copper jewellery, including plain and ribbed copper bangles, 41 tubular beads, 25 jet buttons and 79 very small jet beads.
Due to the wintry conditions, the female’s torso was removed in one block and excavated in a laboratory at Durham University. In order to achieve this, the torso had
to be frozen solid with dry ice, lifted, x-rayed and
transported to the University. This reveals how challenging
and delicate archaeological excavation can be in order to
obtain as much information as possible from the archaeological record.
Thanks to Stockton Borough Council for permission to use this extract from the "Stockton Heritage Strategy" document.
| Round Hill Castle|
Much interesting information about our "castle" at
Appropriately enough it's located just off Roundhill Ave.
|Barwick Medieval Village|
Interesting stuff about Barwick Medieval Village, remains located near Barwick Farm, at Tees Archaeology site
see image 2
|Stockton Heritage Strategy|
Very interesting information on Stockton's Heritage at
Information about Ingleby Barwick's Bronze Age Cemetery & Roman Villa on page 17.
a bit more
Bettingpro dot com web site under the heading "Owners looking to win" says
1952 Harry Lane - Teal
A 22-stone construction magnate from South Shields, Harry Lane paid a reputed £2,000 for the Neville Crump-trained Teal. Lane chartered a train to bring 600 of his employees to Aintree to watch the 10-year-old gelding prevail.
oggs dot com web site under the heading
"The Greatest Grand National Gambles" says
In 1952 twenty-two-stone owner Harry Lane landed a coup almost as big as his waistline when he pulled off a six-figure success as Teal – a horse he bought for a mere £2,000 – won the big race.
An account of the 1952 Grand National, a list of the shots in British Pathe film, at http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=30187.
The Northern Echo on 6 September 2002 said
From this newspaper 50 years ago. - Point to point horses were in demand during a sale of blood stock at Stockton racecourse, held by Messrs T S and L Petch. Maj Leslie Petch said horses with a point to point reputation were sought, especially since Teal, the Grand National winner, was bought at Stockton a few years ago. When selling in Ireland, he recalled the demand for moderate horses was poor and there was over-production of this class of stock. "Breeders should concentrate on quality rather than quantity." Interestingly, Teal's owner, Mr Harry Lane, of Stockton, was the under bidder for the highest-price horse of the day, Stellus, which was sold to a Lincoln bidder for 975 guineas.
There might be a picture of Teal at
Two "old" Frith photos and some interesting recollections at
Leven Bridge photos & recollections
If the link doesn't work paste this URL
into your browser.
Extract from Cleveland Living Memories Published by Francis Frith.
Notes on the two photos which were taken c.1955
1. A popular stop off for cyclists and walkers from local towns long ago, this small settlement included the well known Cross Keys Inn, now derelict - as are most of the other buildings we see here. When the river is in flood, it also flows through the arches on the extreme right. A family stand by the high weir in the foreground. This is the site of an ancient watermill.
2. The River Leven flows through Stokesley, Hutton Rudby and Crathorne before passing under Leven Bridge and joining the River Tees at Yarm. The road bridge shown here is narrow, but it carries heavy traffic volumes between Yarm and the southern edge of Middlesbrough. The distant hillside is dotted with many henhouses serving about 4,000 free range chickens.
"It was a popular little daytrip for Teessiders in the 1950s who picnicked on the small sandy beach beside the river. The earliest mention of the bridge that I could find," says Chris Lloyd of the Darlington & Stockton Times on 5 March 2010, "was 1582 when there were legal proceedings about access to it through Ingelby Summer Field and down Leven Bank.
But that's about it. Certainly no highwaymen hanging out in the Cross Keys, although the landlord there during the 1940s and 1950s was Billy Eden.
He was born in Stockton in 1905 and signed for Darlington FC in March 1928. A nippy right-winger, he was Darlo's leading scorer (11 in 30 games) in 1928-29 and then signed for Sunderland for £1,250. He spent three years there, but didn't go beyond the fringes and in November 1932, Darlo
re-signed him for £500. By March 1935, he was playing for Tranmere Rovers with whom he won the Division 3 (North) title in 1937-38. He must then have retired to the Cross Keys, and he died in Darlington in November 1993."
See also Thornaby Lad's memories of Leven Bridge at Ingleby Barwick Oral History in this section.
GENUKI reports that in 1820's "The mill here (Leven Bridge) is occupied by Mr. William Simpson, corn miller."
The 1861 Census shows a "Licenced Lodging House" at Leven Bridge.
Colour Photo, possibly 1950's, at http://www.picturestockton.co.uk/viewpage.aspx?id=5525
Two photos of Leven Bridge, one showing the Cross Keys pub without its roof at http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Gallery:A1044
Big Bang 14 billion years
Ball of gas, solar system forms 4.6 billion
Solid 4 billion - no rocks older than 3.9 billion
Rocks under IB (millions of years)
Carboniferous - 345-279
Permian - 280-226
Triassic - 225-196
Jurassic - 195 - 135
Cleveland dyke 59
(Made a firmer place to cross Tees)
Around 12,000 BC retreat of ice from region
(recordable human occupation starts)
10,000 - 2,300 BC
2,300 - 700 BC
Burial at Windmill Hill around 1,800 BC
700 BC - 43 AD
Field patterns at Quarry Farm
Roman Occupation 43 - 400 AD
at Quarry Farm
Roman Villa developed from Iron Age farmstead 100 - 150 AD
Anglo-Saxon 410 - 800 A
Barwick place name
Bere + Wick = "Barley Field"
Viking 890 - 1066 AD
-by place name ending
Ingle + by = "Ingle's farm"
1066 AD invasion
1086 "North" laid waste by Normans
1086 Domesday Book
Norman Motte & Bailey castle - Round Hill
Manor of Barwick to Roger de Malet
Priors of Guisborough & Jervaulx hold land until dissolution of monasteries.
14th - 16th Century
Landowners include Percys of Northumberland & Parrs of Nottingham
Manor of Barwick sold to Sir Thomas Lynch, Governor of Jamaica and then to Sir William Turner of Kirkleatham. Part run as "model farm"
Turners still main landowners. Profits continue to support free school & hospital at Kirkleatham
19th Century . Turners sell off land.
1914 -18 War
1939 - 45 War
Adjoining RAF Thornaby airfield fatalities included
1940 June Hudson crashes at Quarry Farm
1941 April Blenheim crashes at Barwick Lane
1941 December Hudson crashes on Quarry Farm killing occupants also
1942 September Hudson crashes at Myton House Farm
1943 December Mosquito crashes in area now Ingleby Mill School where there is a memorial stone.
Post 1939 - 45 war
1952 "Teal" wins Grand National
1969 Yarmside Holdings buy land for housing
1970's start of house building at Lowfields
And the rest, as they say, is history !
For more information look at other articles in this History section. Or borrow "Ingleby Barwick, the new settlement" by Doris Perley from Ingleby Barwick library.
It is thought that Ingleby is a place name of Viking origin . -by being a Viking suffix meaning settlement. Ingle might be a person's name. Perhaps even a reference to the Angles who preceded the Vikings in eastern England (Angle-land).
The Saxons also invaded England. Barwick Bere is Saxon for barley and Wick means farm.
Ingleby & Barwick were until, perhaps, 17th century separate places.
Several pictures of the farm at Sober Hall c. 1992 are to be found on the Stockton Borough Council site at
There are photos of the farm before it was converted to the Teal Arms on the Stockton Borough Council site,
Sue Wratten says "The photographs of The Teal were taken about 1984 – before Whinstone School was built to the left hand side of the photographs, and long before the doctors’ surgery was built behind. The buildings were like this for many years before they were converted into a pub. Much of the original building was kept and the plans were drawn to include and utilise many of the original walls etc."
|Aerial Photos of Ingleby Barwick|
On the Evening Gaztte site at
there is a series of aerial photos of Ingleby Barwick; taken in 2006.
Black Friars Yarm
A very good article from "A History of the County of York Vol.3", a volume of the Victoria County History series, which deals with the Dominican Friars in Yarm from c. 1266 to the dissolution in 1583 is to be found at
Please respect their copyright
|Bronze Age Cemetery|
Ingleby Barwick Bronze Age Cemetery.
During the construction of a new housing estate foul play was suspected when a body was uncovered. However it seems that some people are now living on a wealthy Bronze Age burial ground.
Indebted to Tees Archaeology for this article.
Ingleby Barwick Cemetery
When police found human remains at a Stockton building site foul play was suspected. However the bodies turned out to be over 4000 years old and are an almost unique example of an Early Bronze Age cemetery with an unparalleled wealth of metalwork and grave goods.
In late November 1996 builders cutting a new road found human bones in their spoil. The police and Tees Archaeology were called to the site to investigate. Initial examination showed that two individual burials had been disturbed. A piece of Beaker pottery dating to between 2100BC and 1700BC was also discovered. It soon became apparent that the human remains were extremely ancient and the site was subject to a rapidly organised salvage excavation.
The surrounding area was cleared and a large oval pit was discovered. The pit contained a rectangular block of darker material which appears to have been a former timber structure, possibly a cist . Inside the structure were the remains of two groups of bones, each of which consisted of a skull and several long bones. These individuals were probably excarnated before being placed in the timber cist. Excarnation is the practice of allowing a body to decay before it is buried by leaving it in an exposed location. The bones are then collected and deliberately placed in a grave or tomb.
Nearby was a second oval grave. This contained the complete skeleton of an adult lying on his side in a crouched position. At the feet of this body was a fine polished stone mace head. The mace head was lying only inches from the access road which had originally disturbed the graves and could easily have been lost or destroyed.
These finds prompted us to widen our search and a large area was stripped and hand cleaned. This led to the discovery of two more graves. One of these graves had been badly disturbed by ploughing but the other was in excellent condition. The remains were those of a woman who was laid in her grave lying on her side with her hands brought up beneath her chin. The remains of a second individual had been placed close to the woman. These remains had been stacked into a small pile, again suggesting an excarnated burial.
Excavation of the female revealed that she had been buried wearing a range of copper jewellery. Working conditions were extremely difficult with short December days and hard winter frosts so it was decided to lift the torso of the skeleton as a single block. It could then be excavated under laboratory conditions. To do this the block was frozen solid with dry ice, carefully lifted, x-rayed and painstakingly excavated by a trained conservator at the University of Durham. The excavation of this block led to the recovery of 41 tubular beads, 25 jet buttons and 79 very small jet beads. The woman had a plain copper bangle on one arm and a more substantial ribbed copper bracelet on the other.
The skeletons were subsequently radio-carbon dated with the results suggesting a date of around 1800 BC, the very dawn of the Bronze Age.
For photos of the excavation see
Indebted to "Thornaby" for this info. I B was near the end of Thornaby airfield's runways.
"The airfield actually covered most of the top end of Thornaby till the early 60`s when the town centre and then hosing was built.There were runways up as far as the industrial estate, the Griffin pub area and part of IB was a prisoner of war camp.(Just like now trying to get out of there).The prisoners were actually allowed out to do work for the locals on farms etc. Mostly Italian POW`s.
There is quite a good website showing the history of the airfield and the war effort.
and there is always mine as well http://thornaby.95mb.com/thornaby_airfield.html
and upto date pics on here
|Old Maps||There's a wonderful site www.old-maps.co.uk which "does what it says on the tin" i.e shows old maps of UK as it was in mid 19th century.|
Type in a place name, hit search and up comes the map. Ingleby Barwick did not exist then so try Yarm and keep scrolling east. Or enter a Grid reference in "co-ordinate". Grid Reference? Didn't you listen attentively to your Geography Master? Then write out 100 times "Into the house & up the stairs". A grid reference in the middle of IB is 445292,512753 . Up comes a map of IB dated 1856/7. You can enlarge the central part.
The site has also aerial photos.
|Quarry Farm - Airplane Crash -1941|
An extract from the "Incidents & Accidents" page of the excellent history of Thornaby Aerodrome to be found at
"A ball of fire seemed to fall out of the sky over Eaglescliffe watched by the newly arrived number 5 intake of no.6 Coastal Command Operational Training Unit on 18th December 1941 when the worst accident at Thornaby occurred. Hudson V9032 of the training unit stalled on take off and crashed into Quarry Farm at Ingleby Barwick, 5 miles from the aerodrome.
Three airmen, f/sgt Graves (pilot) p/o Vab Heerdan (observer) and W/op/ag Hogg were killed midst the inferno and lie buried at Thornaby.
Two children in the farm house miraculously escaped but Ray Garbutt, his wife and their other 2 children were killed.
The pilot`s fiancée, also from South Africa offered to adopt the two boys."
In the 19th century and earlier Ingleby Barwick used to be part of the parish of Stainton.
A very useful site with, and links to, information about our history is to be found on Colin Hinson's site
Please respect Colin Hinson's request
"You are welcome to link into the Genuki Yorkshire site to any of the html pages (as opposed to jpeg images directly), however due to my having major problems with people building web-sites from Genuki extracts, I have (at
least for the time being) had to refuse permission for people to copy information from the Genuki Yorkshire site, other than the small amount allowed under the law."
|World War ll Plane crash 1943|
My wartime salute Feb 18 2005
Naomi Paylor, Evening Gazette
"A new school on Teesside is being asked to commemorate two Second World War airmen who died on its playing field site.
David Thompson, a local aviation historian believes that the new school on Low Lane, Ingleby Barwick, could use the historic site for educational purposes.
In 1943, a De Havilland Mosquito aeroplane crashed into the field behind High Leven Cottages - the site where the 630-place school is being built this year.
The two men killed were pilot Flight Lieutenant Alan John Farquhar Symes, of the Royal Canadian Air Force, and Navigator Sergeant, Edward Lyon of the Royal Air Force.
In 1977 a local man attempted to recover the remains of the aircraft, including two engines. Mr Thompson himself also visited the site and found small pieces of wreckage on the surface.
After viewing the plans for the new school building, Mr Thompson said the crash site appears to be close to the proposed new sports pitches.
He believes it would be fitting to incorporate the names of the airmen who lost their lives within the school by means of a memorial.
"This year is the 60th anniversary of the end of the Second World War and it would be nice if something could be done to remember these two airmen," he said.
"Would it be possible to incorporate the names of these two airmen somewhere within the school, possibly a memorial plaque or stone, school house names or the name of the small access road?"
A spokeswoman for Stockton Council, whose planning committee approved the new school a year ago, confirmed they are considering Mr Thompson's suggestion.
"We are happy to work with the school to look at remembering the two airmen," she said."
Further information via David Thompson indicates that the plane was a Photo Reconnaisance MkIV of No. 8 (Coastal) OTU, RAF Dyce. The pilot having tried to land on one engine with full flap then attempted to overshoot & go round again but stalled and crashed. The crash was witnessed by a farmer & his son who were working in the adjoining field to the east. It is thought that the RAF recovered the camera. The crash occured at 11:15 on 11 November 1943. Almost exactly 25 years to the minute of the ceasefire which ended World War l (the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month 1918)
A link to another article with an on site photo
For further information click on
or if that doesn't work just copy & paste into the address bar.
|Ingleby Barwick |
|On Thornaby.net Thornaby Lad had this to say about the recent history of the Ingleby Barwick area.|
" Hi all.
We had a piece on Thornaby now let's have some from Ingleby Barwick.
Did you know that the Teal pub was named after the race horse "Teal", and that it was trained in Ingleby Barwick?
There is a site in Ingleby Barwick where, during the 1939-45 war, unfortunately, an aeroplane crashed. Thornaby Wood, adjacent to Ingleby Barwick was also the scene of air disasters.
From Thornaby Basselton Lane you had to cross what was known as the "Giant Fields" to get to Milk Can Lane - the road to the Fox Covert.
"Barry" quarry, which should be left open to the public, was one of the busiest quarries in the area. The land around has been used for generations as a picnic area in the summer (now lost to a golf course which should have been sited on Low Lane).
The ancient burial ground near the mouth of the River Leven should be made more accessible to the public, better signs and the creation of the country park
(as promised to the residents of Ingleby Barwick).
Do you remember ?
Thornaby Road when it was nothing but a twisting lane all the way to the New Inn (got some of you there)
or the long walk to the Half Moon Inn (another one),
the two mile cottages,
snagging turnips after a day's swimming at Leven,
the old corner shop just on the Leven Bridge forever being hit by wagons,
the lady who owned it trying to create a nature reserve in the pool,
getting the bus from the Fox Covert to Thornaby - a treat in itself
what about the log on the River Leven, bet you thought it was only Ingleby residents ho knew about that, well we swam there as kids."
If you have any additional info or memories to share let Thornaby Lad (Thornaby.net)
and Newshound (InglebyBarwick.com) know.
We might be able to add them to the history sections of the sites.
|Teal Arms||This pub is named after a horse called "Teal" which won the 1952 Grand National race at Aintree at 100/7. It was owned by Harry Lane and trained by Captain Neville Crump at Middleham. Crump trained two other Grand National Winners, Sheila's Cottage (1948) & Merryman ll (19600. In 1952 he became National Hunt Champion Trainer. He died in January 1997 aged 86. .|
An interesting tale of the 1952 Grand National says "Jockey Arthur Thompson and trainer Neville Crump both became dual winners of the Grand National in 1952 when the pair won for the second time in the big race at Aintree, this time with "Teal". The race did however have to be re-started as the forty-seven runners charged the tape the first time around causing a twelve-minute delay before it began again. It's recorded that the winning jockey had quipped that "I thought I would be in the winner's enclosure by now!" something which he would end up in, albeit a little later than he would have thought."
A tale of Captain Crump says "Neville Crump is a Middleham legend, a man remembered not just for training three Grand National winners (Teal, Merryman, Sheila's Cottage) but for riding through that sleepy North Yorkshire town at 6 am with cries of "Yoiks" and "Tally-ho" and "Get up you lazy buggers."
|Another great Roman Villa contribution...||They came, they saw, they settled...|
|A contribution from a site member...||On the night of the 18th December 1941 a Hudson, of No. 608 Squadron while returning from a mission, missed the runway on landing and crashed onto a farm house at Ingleby Barwick. The crew of seven and the four inhabitants of the farm house were killed. The farm house was also completely demolished.|
|Latest on the Roman Villa||Response from Scott Wilson - the company in charge of the archeological dig.|
|Website history||A rough guide to the various incarnations of the inglebybarwick.com website.
During routine aerial photography of the Ingleby Barwick area in 1970 it was discovered that land at Quarry Farm (at the southerly end of Queen Elizabeth Way) contained a site of some archaeological interest. Initial work showed this to be the site of a Roman Empire Villa and associated buildings.
|Simple History|| Ingleby from the old english phrase for Barley
Barwick from the old english phrase for Fields
So, welcome to Barley Fields
Here we hope to bring you an always expanding history of the Ingleby Barwick
area. From Medieval sites to bronze age finds. Read On...
|Ingleby Barwick Crest|| The arms contain a representation of the three rivers that run around Ingleby
Barwick. i.e. River Leven, River Tees and Bassleton Beck. It also depicts
mill-rinds which are an historical link to the Turner family, who used to own
the land which now forms Ingleby Barwick.
The crest shows a Teal bird which is an allusion to a horse from Ingleby
Barwick which won the Grand National in 1952.
|Early Bronze Age Burial|| Read about these archaeological finds
here but be warned it may take a while to load.
|Ingleby Barwick - 1981|| The first in a catalogue of
aerial photographs taken by Yarm Side Holdings over
the last 20 or more years.
|Ingleby Barwick - History from the skies||
|Archaeological conservation||Click here|